Broken Ankle and Dislocated Hip


I've recently broken my ankle, a double fracture that required surgery to put some screws and metal plates in place. This just happened at the busiest time of my life: a working mom of two kids who has just been assigned the responsibility of leading a team at work, along with a project that is overdue and an executive meeting two days ahead.


I was reminded of Jacob, the day he wrestled with God. He also walked out of the incident/encounter with a dislocated hip joint the night of the biggest event of his life: meeting his brother Esau - who wanted to kill him 20 years ago.

Control Freak: let it go:

Jacob's planned for that day to go perfect. In fact he spent the morning of that day laying plans for how this encounter would go:
When the messengers returned to Jacob, they said, “We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him.”In great fear and distress Jacob divided the people who were with him into two groups,[c] and the flocks and herds and camels as well. He thought, “If Esau comes and attacks one group,[d] the group[e] that is left may escape.”

 He's prepared gifts that his brother would like, he's planned groups of servents with the finest gifts, he's divided his positions - wives and kids and sorted them according to priority and love. However, he couldn't have planned for that injury, he couldn't see that coming!

Don't get me wrong. God is not against us planning! I don't think God was offended when I spent so many hours preparing for that executive presentation, or when spent days laying plans for the team for the coming quarter.
I think the problem is when planning becomes our main source of confidence, our sole source of comfort: "I've done my part perfectly". This then becomes a source of all anxiety and fear. What if I haven't done my part perfectly? What if I did not plan _every_ thing!

God put you in it, He'll get you through it:

The whole idea of  Jacob going back to his homeland was not his own, or maybe it was, but it was endorsed by God. He encouraged him to take the step after things have escalated with his uncle Laban:

Then the Lord said to Jacob, “Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.”

I think I can have one of two attitudes if I was in Jacob's shoes (which guess what, I was!)
 - To blame God for it:
--->  So, seriously! Did God do this to Jacob after he was the one to tell him to go back in the first place! Come on! Pefect! Just what I needed when I'm meeting my fearce brother: limping with a dislocated joint!
- To trust God'll get me out of it:
---> So, shit hit the fan? unexpected problems? no problem! I'm sure God who's put me in it will get me through it. This is the attitude Jacob has shown already when Laban went after him and was searching for his stolen gods:
42 If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you.


Slow Down, and lean on me


Lessons learned, you grow with God and with men:
28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,[f] because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”
29 Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.”
But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.
30 So Jacob called the place Peniel,[g] saying, “It is because I saw God face to face"

I'd take a broken ankle, or a dislocated joint in exchange for that above!
Guess what! It turned out to be just fine. Jacob with a limping leg, still managed to kneel for Esau 7 times, found favour in his brother's eyes, and got out of the encounter unharmed.

This too shall pass, Marian

Comments