Close the Gates!

"In those days I saw men in Judah treading winepresses on the Sabbath and bringing in grain and loading it on donkeys, together with wine, grapes, figs and all other kinds of loads. And they were bringing all this into Jerusalem on the Sabbath. Therefore I warned them against selling food on that day. Men from Tyre who lived in Jerusalem were bringing in fish and all kinds of merchandise and selling them in Jerusalem on the Sabbath to the people of Judah. I rebuked the nobles of Judah and said to them, "What is this wicked thing you are doing—desecrating the Sabbath day? Didn't your forefathers do the same things, so that our God brought all this calamity upon us and upon this city? Now you are stirring up more wrath against Israel by desecrating the Sabbath." (Nehemiah 13:15-18)

What is happening to the city of Jerusalem? Haven't they built its fence? Haven't they put its gates? Yet, traders are going in and out the city in God's day!
They distract people on the Sabbath. They consume the power of the city people. They fill the minds and hearts of the city citizens by trading stuff!! The people have no effort nor time for worship, in God's day.

My heart is the same as Jerusalem God!

Though the fence is there, the gates are installed. Yet, I am distracted. I am consumed by all the things going in and out all day, all week. My heart and Mind are fill with wordly stuff. And it is distracting me!! I have no time that is "Only yours".
I get home tired. I come back exhausted. And everyday... I have these things to be done. What about weekends? Still traders are filling them out...leaving no space for you!
I used to think that it's no harm. It's no problem. But no it is! If it takes over all of my heart. If outings and service leaves me no time that is only yours. If it consumes my power and energy. It is a problem.

Warning the city guards was not enough! talking will not solve the problem of my heart...

Now Nehemiah, I shall do what you did......

"When evening shadows fell on the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I ordered the doors to be shut and not opened until the Sabbath was over. I stationed some of my own men at the gates so that no load could be brought in on the Sabbath day. Once or twice the merchants and sellers of all kinds of goods spent the night outside Jerusalem. But I warned them and said, "Why do you spend the night by the wall? If you do this again, I will lay hands on you." From that time on they no longer came on the Sabbath. ... Remember me for this also, O my God, and show mercy to me according to your great love. " (Nehemiah 13: 18-22)

On the evening, the doors are to be shut. Keepers are stationed at the gates.
I shall do the same. It's not correct to leave the gates of my heart open all day all week! Enough traders on the Sabbath! Have some time for God, that is traders free!

Lord, I learned the lesson. I can't keep the gates of my heart open all the time!
Give me the wisedom to control the gates of my heart, of my life.
To open the gates for others.
Yet, keep a time for you that is traders-free.
To close the gates at sabbath night, to keep my heart a whole piece undivided for you only...

Comments