Tell me to come to you on the water

Mathew 14:


" During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"






It took me years to figure this out: "tell me to come to you". For years, I've been trying to walk on this stormy water of the world, digging my way through to reach Jesus. I see him and I want to go to him. My world is trumbling in a state that is not less than the sea Mathew is discribing.





"Tell me to come to you"?!!


What a strange request Peter. If you want to go to him, go!!! nobody is holding you. And what difference will it make for you if he said "come"?!


In fact, this word "come" changed nothing in the situation. The sea is still taugh, the wind is still strong, and your feet are still the same!





But you've known something that I didn't know...





I lately have been "beginning to sink". But I haven't been as smart as Peter was.


I thought "wow, I'm sinking, I should be a better swimmer. Let's try moving my hands a bit harder. What about moving my legs a bit faster. Ok, It's my problem. I have to fix it. If only I had learned swimming when they offered me these classes. Ok, what about asking my swimming friend who's setting back in the boat to help me. But no, he's already having enough facing those winds and waves and trumbling boat. Well, let's give it a try and ask him: "Friennnnnnd", "Can you help meeeeeeee"? but no answer came.





Peter was smarter than me! When he was "begining to sink", he immediately cried out: "Lord, save me". He already had known that it's not himself or his power that is keeping him walking on water. It's all because Jesus "told him to come"!





يا سيد... مرنى أن آتى اليك.....

Comments